Officer for the Access Campaign (m/f)
Start Date: 01 June 2017
Duration: 30 November 2018
Location : Berlin
Salary: max 3.383 € per month; plus 13th salary
Deadline: 2nd of April 2017
Médecins Sans Frontières – Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. (MSF Germany) is the German section of the international medical humanitarian organization Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, or exclusion from health care in nearly 70 countries. At times, MSF also speaks out publicly to bring forgotten crises into view, alert the public to abuses occurring beyond the headlines or challenge the diversion of humanitarian aid for political purposes. MSF also campaigns for affordable drugs and medical treatment to be made available to victims of neglected diseases in the countries where it works.
Today, one-third of the world’s population lacks access to essential medicines. Too often in the countries where MSF works, we cannot treat our patients, because the medicines are too expensive, they are no longer produced or because nobody is looking for a better cure.
The Campaign for Access to Essential Medicines is an international MSF project founded in 1999.
The general objectives are as follows:
- Make new “life-saving and essential” medicines, vaccines and diagnosis tools affordable and accessible (including those products still patented in some countries) as a first priority, in MSF projects.
- Secure the production and accessibility of quality essential medicines, vaccines and diagnosis tools that have either been abandoned, are in danger of being abandoned, or for which stock discontinuation is leading to access problems.
- Stimulate research and development activities of new medicines, vaccines and diagnosis tools.
II. Position Within The Organisation
The officer is part of Berlin Advocacy Unit (BeAU) and reports to the Access Campaigner.
Objective Of The Post
The officer supports the advocacy work of the Access Campaign and BeAU through research, networking and administration.
A. Networking, Representation and Campaigning
- Confident command of different campaigning relevant communication channels from social media to letters to the chancellery; autonomous implementation of campaigns to influence decision makers in Germany on topics of medical and humanitarian advocacy;
- Independent networking and lobbying with political contacts on a medium hierarchical level (e. g., parliamentarian research assistants)
- Networking with other NGOs including representation of MSF in NGO platforms and alliances
- Participation in and the preparation of conferences and meetings;
- In consultation with the Access campaigner, representation of MSF at external meetings, talks or conferences
B. Content Support to the Access Campaign
- Prepares memos, reports and dossiers to be used internally and externally for advocacy purposes; tracks advocacy related information including listserves, meetings, calls, media, and publications and identifies advocacy targets.
- Supports external communication by drafting, preparing and/or translating press releases, social media content and other material;
- Conducts research on current MSF Access Campaign topics including tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, vaccines, and neglected diseases, as well as work on intellectual property, financing, and medical research and development.
- Conducts research for presentations, external meetings and panel discussions.
- Helps develop strategic and campaigning plans; expedites projects independently and takes over responsibility for own portfolio;
C. Administration and Organisation
- Management of interns and consultants
- Organisation of external and internal events and meetings
- Organisation and documentation of lobby activities
- Coordinate internal reporting and planning processes
IV. Profile And Qualifications
- Master degree or equivalent. Background in political science, law, medicine or global health preferred
- Experience in the German policy-making processes at the federal level through advocacy and/or campaigning;
- Experience in campaigning and communication – Creativity and ability to break down complex issues in simple language or campaigns to make it suitable for specific target groups;
- Knowledge and interest in issues of global health, international intellectual property medical research and development as well as trade policies;
- Genuine commitment to MSF's medical and humanitarian principles and interest in medical humanitarian aid and the struggle for access to essential medicines
- Excellent research and writing skills as well as excellent attention to detail and proofreading ability in German and English
- Excellent knowledge of oral and written English and German
- Knowledge of French or Russian an asset
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
We Are Offering
- A German full time employment contract
- A gross monthly salary in group 3 of max 3.383 €, based on a fulltime ontract, depending upon relevant work experience
- Other benefits including 30 days of vacation & 13th salaries per year.
- A stimulating, professional working environment in an international organisation.
Information And Application
Further information can be obtained from:
- 1. on content of the job: Marco Alves: +49 30 700 130 190, email@example.com
- on procedural and contractual questions: Sylvana Pikowski, HR Officer (Berlin): +49 30 700 130 216, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we don´t cover the travel expenses for a first round interview in Berlin.
Show some love and please mention The Changer in your application.